[pvrusb2] No more than 16 standards (xawtv bug.) "secam-L is back" closed

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Aug 14 13:41:13 CDT 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2.6.18 pvrusb2 code finds more than 16 stardards (For instance, SECAM-B is not
> found by pvrusb2-mci-20060726 whereas it is by 2.6.18)

The actual set of standards which the pvrusb2 driver pays attention to are
interpretted out of tveeprom.ko.  I've been away for a few weeks, but
before I disappeared there was some discussion about tveeprom reporting an
incomplete set of supported standards.  It's entirely plausible that newer
tveeprom modules have recent changes to report more standards available.
The pvrusb2 driver is merely passing this through to the app.

I'll bet if you try the pvrusb2-mci-20060726 standalone driver snap
against 2.6.18 (you _can_ do this), then the results will be the same as
the in-kernel pvrusb2 driver.

> It is absolutely great. No problem on pvrusb2 side.

Agree.

> The problem was line 77 in in xawtv code:
> #define MAX_NORM    16
>
> Well, engineers are so clever that there are more than 16 TV standards all over
> the world...
>
> The obvious (and tested) solution is to have,
> #define MAX_NORM    32

There are currently less than 32 unique bit definitions in V4L2 for video
standards.  However there are some valid standard choices which involve
combinations of those bits, for example PAL-B/G (which is PAL-B for one
freq band and PAL-G for another).  So 32 might not be a large enough
number.  But it's probably good enough for now.