[pvrusb2] IR help linux newbie

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Dec 29 21:41:15 CST 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Ryan Schmitz wrote:

> Ok,
>
> So I made some changes, but I'm still not any closer to a solution
> unfortunately.
>
> I used the commands you suggested:
> mknod /dev/lirc0 c 61 0
> ln -s /dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc
>
> And now I have this:
> [root at schmitzerLNX dev]# ls -l /dev/lir*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    10 Dec 29 22:06 /dev/lirc -> /dev/lirc0
> crw-r--r-- 1 root root 61, 0 Dec 29 22:05 /dev/lirc0
> srw-rw-rw- 1 root root     0 Dec 29 22:09 /dev/lircd

Actually, I thought he said you needed to create "/dev/lirc/0" not
"/dev/lirc0" (note the extra level of directory).

As for whether it should actually *be* /dev/lirc0 or /dev/lirc/0, I
think it would be better if your lircd actually looked for the right
file rather than trying to hack something into /dev which is just going
to go away the next time you reboot (because that whole area is a tmpfs
file system and udev is going to reinitialize everything when it starts
up again).  Unfortunately I'm not an FC user so I'm not sure of the
specifics there.  Generically (or at least Debian-ish) speaking however,
I have a /etc/lirc/hardware.conf file on my system and in there, the
lircd daemon is programmed with the name of the device file to open.
For example I see in my hardware.conf this line:

	DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"

These issues really have nothing to do with the pvrusb2 driver.  It's an
lirc / distro problem here.  Have you googled around for info on this?