[pvrusb2] IR help linux newbie

roger roger at eskimo.com
Sat Dec 30 05:41:36 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 21:41 -0600, Mike Isely wrote:

> As for whether it should actually *be* /dev/lirc0 or /dev/lirc/0, I
> think it would be better if your lircd actually looked for the right
> file rather than trying to hack something into /dev which is just going
> to go away the next time you reboot (because that whole area is a tmpfs
> file system and udev is going to reinitialize everything when it starts
> up again).

Right. On Gentoo here, udev automatically createst the lirc device
file /dev/lirc/0 after modprobe of lirc_dev && lirc_irc.

The lirc daemon then references the configurable device file location
via /etc/conf.d/lircd.

As lirc package here provides seperate lirc modules (like nvidia but
opensource), I frequently forget to recompile the lirc modules after
rebooting on upgrading my kernel.  As such, I also then have to reload
the pvrusb2 driver && mythbackend to make sure I have infrared support
working.

With the continued development of udev & dbus, hopeful lirc issues will
resolve and drivers & service won't need to be reloade for lirc to work?

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Sat Dec 30 03:41:33 PST 2006