[pvrusb2] NSLU2 + PVRUSB2 = Bird-Box Cam

Michael Roitzsch mroi at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 6 15:00:22 CST 2006

Hi,

>> Is there a computationally-easy way to convert an MPEG frame into
>> a JPEG - they both use DCTs, don't they?
>
> As for converting mpeg frame(s) into jpeg, I really have no idea.

It would be possible to do compressed domain transcoding from MPEG to
JPEG for the I-frames (intracoded frames) only. I most MPEG streams,
an I-frame appears around every 15 frames. For the other frames (P-
and B-frames), this is completely impossible, since these are not
stored as complete frames, but as motion vectors and difference
information towards an earlier decoded reference frame. You have to
decode them to reconstruct the actual picture.

Michael