[pvrusb2] NSLU2 + PVRUSB2 = Bird-Box Cam

Phil Endecott spam_from_pvrusb2 at chezphil.org
Mon Feb 6 16:33:58 CST 2006

Thanks for your replies.  I should have more idea about the mysterious
lockup in a week or so and I'll write again.

Frans wrote:
> I'm a little bit surprised that you are using a
> pvrusb2 though. It is quite easy to add an usb webcam
> to the NSLU2. That will allow you to grab pictures
> (e.g. two per second) and do motion detection (using
> the "motion" sw).

It needs to be weatherproof, wireless and reasonably low power (it's
solar powered).  The WiFi webcams I've seen don't fit the criteria.  I
also want to be able to see live video on a TV.

Mike wrote:
>>- Capturing still images: I'd like the web page to include still images
>>as well as video clips.
>
> Yes, I believe the chip does have a way to provide raw frames.  The driver
> doesn't implement it, though this is on my longer term list of things to
> do.

>>- The light level in the birdbox is rather low.  The camera has
>>automatic gain control and the image looks OK, but it has the sort of
>>noise you expect from a cheap sensor when it is being amplified a lot.
>>The only problem with this is that it wastes bits in the MPEG stream.  I
>>noticed that there are some noise reduction parameters in
>>pvrusb2-encoder.c, but they don't seem to be exported to the /sys
>>interface.  Is this what I need?
>
> I need to update the controls exported from the driver.  I have a lot more
> information available about the chip now than I did when I first set all
> that up in sysfs.  It's another thing that needs to get done which hasn't
> happened yet.

This is all good news; I'll let you get on with it!

Thanks,

--Phil.