[pvrusb2] PVR USB2 usb id change

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Feb 28 18:22:44 CST 2006

Just to fill in some blanks here (it's already obviously elsewhere in this
thread what is going on)....

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Barry Jett wrote:

> I purchased a WinTV PVR Usb2  model 941 from Circuit City last week but
> to date I've had little success getting it to work under linux.
>
> Couple of things I've noted :
>
> 1)  The usb device code is 2040:2400 , not the 2040:2900 listed in the code.
>
>     The code in pvrusb2-mci-20060209 compiled cleanly (good work Mike !) but
>     plugging in the pvr did nothing on Ubuntu, Debian or Mandrake  systems.
>     I found the usb id difference, changed pvrusb2-main.c to reflect
>     2040:2900 and could now hotplug the pvr.

Yes, that's because the hardware has been respun.  That's the easy part
of the driver update :-)

>     Hotplug appears to work...but only if the pvr was previously setup in WinXp,
>     otherwise I get 'device is hung....need to power cycle" message in syslog. But
>     a power cycle only gives me the same message again.

The pvrusb2 driver has a (simple) algorithm to determine if the device
needs to have the FX2 firmware downloaded to it.  (The FX2 is the
microcontroller that pretty much owns the whole device.)  With the new
hardware the algorithm isn't working anymore.  I believe I know why, but I
need to do more investigation in order to determine the correct fix for
this.

> 2)  A previous init in WinXp, followed by boot to Debian gives me what looks like a
>     clean initialize of the pvr, a /dev/video0 device and a /sys/class/pvrusb2/unit-a
>     file structure.
>
>     But a  " cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg "  only gives me an emply test.mpg and a
>     "Warning ... no decoder present " message in syslog.

You're getting farther in this case because Windows already loaded the FX2
firmware and so the driver doesn't need to load it.  Thus the problem
described in the previous paragraph has been avoided.  However there are
other problems.  The new device replaces the msp3400 & saa7115 chips for a
cx25840 and while there is a cx25840 module in v4l there needs to be some
integration between it and the pvrusb2 driver in order for things to work
again.  That's the main issue I've been dealing with, and we're not there
yet :-(  The driver you are trying is blithely ignoring the missing the
msp3400 and saa7115 (long story - though you probably should be seeing
warnings in the system log about a missing decoder) and completing its
initialization.  However video streaming is just going to hang right now.

> I wonder if Hauppauge has gone through a revision change on these units,
> reflected in the usb id change ?

You hit the nail on the head :-)

> I'm running a fresh install of Debian 'etch' (although my results are
> the same with Ubuntu Dapper), with the pvrusb2-mci-20060209 code
> release.
>
> I welcome any suggestions to get this pvr working, and wanted to send
> many thanks to Mike Isely for his work on this driver.

I am working on getting the driver updated.  Debugging by proxy is kind of
a pain, but hopefully that situation might improve soon.  In the mean time
I'll keep in you mind for additional testing.  If you'd like to discuss
this in real time, I tend to hang around in IRC on #pvrusb2 (where you can
frequently find the other two folks who are currently in the same
situation).

   -Mike

p.s.

Yes, the web site desparately needs to be updated to point out this issue.
Honestly I was hoping by last weekend to have the driver working again
with the new hardware, but it didn't work out that way :-(