[pvrusb2] Re: Problem with 20060102A

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 3 16:23:31 CST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Ingo Flaschberger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How long should switching "normally" need?
>

> bye,
> 	ingo flaschberger

There are no time delays or other arbitrary pauses in the pvrusb2 driver
which might enforce some kind of minimal switching delay.  However I can't
speak for the support modules and given the nature of the hardware there
will certainly be some time delay.  For example, I2C transactions are
proxied over USB and happen single-file - no pipelining.  I2C is already
pretty slow and a channel change potentialy involves reconfiguring a lot
of I2C controlled stuff.  So that can cause a delay.  Also the video
hardware itself requires some time to lock onto the new channel - and then
be noticed by the corresponding modules.

Finally I imagine that the mpeg2 encoder itself introduces latency as
well.  In fact, if you run a normal TV right next to a pvrusb2-equipped PC
and watch the same channel, I've actually see a 1-2 second latency in the
video.

So it's hard to pin down what the maximum delay might be during a
frequency change.  A second or so is probably not entirely unreasonable.
There's not much that the driver can to do influence this, beyond not
unnecessarily reconfiguring too much hardware when the frequency is
changed.