[pvrusb2] Re: Problem with 20060102A

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jan 4 00:14:53 CST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Mike Isely wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Ingo Flaschberger wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> How long should switching "normally" need?
>>

>> bye,
>> 	ingo flaschberger
>
> There are no time delays or other arbitrary pauses in the pvrusb2 driver
> which might enforce some kind of minimal switching delay.  However I can't
> speak for the support modules and given the nature of the hardware there will
> certainly be some time delay.  For example, I2C transactions are proxied over
> USB and happen single-file - no pipelining.  I2C is already pretty slow and a
> channel change potentialy involves reconfiguring a lot of I2C controlled
> stuff.  So that can cause a delay.  Also the video hardware itself requires
> some time to lock onto the new channel - and then be noticed by the
> corresponding modules.
>
> Finally I imagine that the mpeg2 encoder itself introduces latency as well.
> In fact, if you run a normal TV right next to a pvrusb2-equipped PC and watch
> the same channel, I've actually see a 1-2 second latency in the video.
>
> So it's hard to pin down what the maximum delay might be during a frequency
> change.  A second or so is probably not entirely unreasonable. There's not
> much that the driver can to do influence this, beyond not unnecessarily
> reconfiguring too much hardware when the frequency is changed.
>
>  -Mike

Just to follow up, I did some empirical measurements tonight using
mplayer.  While mplayer was streaming, I repeatedly used sysfs to change
the frequency.  The time from changing sysfs to mplayer showing the new
channel is roughly 1 second.  Streaming never stops; it's just a latency.

Changing channels with this driver in xawtv takes a little longer, but
xawtv does a lot of steps to change a channel - including actually
stopping and restarting streaming.  In that case it seems to be slightly
over 1 second to maybe 1.5 seconds.