[pvrusb2] Re: Problem with 20060102A

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jan 4 00:22:33 CST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Mike Isely wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Mike Isely wrote:
>

> I've just tried to reproduce the problem in xawtv and in mplayer -
> unsuccessfully.  I built vanilla 2.6.15, compiled pvrusb2.ko for it
> (20060102A sources) and used all other modules strictly from that kernel.
> It's working here.  I tried two different PVR USB2 devices (they have
> different tuner sections), same successful behavior each time.

FYI, to test frequency changing in mplayer, I used sysfs to change the
frequency while mplayer was running.  I tried at least 20-30 iterations,
no problem.  Now in that case streaming is not stopped, so then I tried
stopping / starting mplayer rapidly in attempt to get it to stick.  I
tried another 30-40 times, successful each time.  Then I tried again with
the other PVR USB2 device, same result.

To test in xawtv, I left it running the entire time and just rapidly
changed the channel.  In this case xawtv resets streaming when the channel
is changed.  It worked about as well as it always has (that is, every once
in a while xawtv fails to restart streaming - but that is an xawtv problem
that I have seen for a very long time and this is an xawtv snapshot from
CVS dating from last May).

> Unfortunately my test system is not set up for MythTV.  Are you able to
> reproduce the problem with xawtv and/or mplayer?  Can *anyone* reproduce this
> problem?

One other question - when you get this hang, how do you recover?  Just
change channels again, restart MythTV, reload the driver, re-plug the
hardware, and/or reboot?  Given that the log you sent didn't show any
evidence of a problem I have to presume that just causing the stream to
restart is probably enough, but everything I've presumed about your issue
so far has been wrong :-)