[pvrusb2] B&W video problem...

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jan 4 00:53:54 CST 2006

I have been spending too much time chasing a problem here, and I'm rapidly
running out ideas.  This whole episode was the trigger that caused me
update the driver to fix tda9887 issues, but I think now that this might
have been a coincidence.  Maybe someone here can read this and see an
idea...

I have two PVR USB2 devices here.  The newer one has been having a problem
where the color just "stops working".  I don't have to do anything to the
device to cause this - just sitting there the color can spontaneously
cease and I'm left looking at B&W video.  It can take anywhere from 1
minute to maybe 8 minutes of streaming before the color drops out.

I have been dealing with this problem for a while.  In fact, this symptom
is what caused me to tumble into the whole tda9887 mess a month ago.
However with all that solved now I still see the same problem.  Every
combination of support modules and kernel versions I've tried (including
the new 2.6.15 stable release) eventually does the same thing.

Other interesting bits:

When it is showing B&W, I am seeing a tiny checkerboard pattern on some of
the gray levels - which I believe is the colorburst frequency bleeding
through unfiltered.

Once this happens, the ONLY way to clear the problem is to power cycle the
device.  Re-plugging (while powered on - which clears all the software
state) doesn't help; it's still B&W right away immediately afterwards.
Reloading the driver modules (even all of them) makes no difference
either.  It's almost as if there is some piece of "state" in the device
that nobody is controlling, and once this tips a certain way the only way
to influence it again is to power cycle.

Meanwhile my older PVR USB2 device continues to work perfectly.  They're
both NTSC devices.  The older stable device has "29022 Rev C523
NTSC/NTSC-J" on the white tag underneath.  The newer unstable device has
"29032 Rev D2A3 NTSC/NTSC-J" on its white tag.  The software sees the two
devices being nearly identical, except the newer (unstable) device reports
a Hauppauge type 103 tuner, mapped to type 43 in V4L - and it has a
tda9887.  The older (stable) device reports a Hauppauge type 23 tuner,
mapped to type 2 in V4L, and no tda9887.  Other than that the two devices
are identical.

I had been thinking all along that this problem is tda9887 related since
B&W video (in NTSC at least) on old TV sets is usually suggestive of
out-of-whack tuning.  But once it starts happening, it happens SOLIDLY
from that point forward, no matter what channel I select.  (Fine tuning
the frequency doesn't help.)  I've also since re-snooped what the Windows
driver is doing and have compared that to what tuner.ko and tda9887.ko are
doing and they almost exactly match (even the frequency divider value
matches, but the charge pump flag for the tuner is different and fm auto
mute for the tda9887 is different - but I don't think either difference
can explain this).

Has anyone here seen this problem?  And (perhaps more significantly) does
anyone here have a device whose model number on the white tag underneath
the device matches the info on my newer (unstable) device - and if you do
have you seen any funny behavior like this?