[pvrusb2] Fwd: Re: [linux-usb-devel] USB EHCI VIA disconnect problem

Helmut Toplitzer pvrusb2 at toplitzer.net
Tue Jan 17 17:00:15 CST 2006

FYI

Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] USB EHCI VIA disconnect problem
Date: Tuesday 17 January 2006 16:45
From: Alan Stern <stern at rowland.harvard.edu>
To: Helmut Toplitzer <pvrusb2 at toplitzer.net>
Cc: pvrusb2 at isely.net, USB development list
<linux-usb-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Helmut Toplitzer wrote:
> Alan, your patch went quite well and it looks like the device
> isn't disconnecting any longer. So I did some
> usb-storage transfer tests and it looks like it had
> no unwanted side-effects.

Okay, I'll submit it.

> However the IDE-transfer problem still exists, and I
> posted it to the linux-ide list. (It's not directly a
> USB problem because also the CPU utilization has
> influence on it)
>
> The hang after some time using the ehci-hcd driver still
> happens but I was able to isolate it. It looks like the
> also onboard audio-module (snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec)
> is getting wrong with either the ehci-hcd driver or
> the pvrusb2 driver using ehci-hcd. Till using pvrusb2 with
> ehci-hcd I had no problems using the audio output. Unloading
> ehci-hcd switching back to uhci-hcd solves the problem again.
> Directing audio output to /dev/null also works without further
> interruptions.
> (Maybe this is also not a perfect solution :-) but
> someone gets an idea whats going comletely wrong here)

I hope so.  I don't have a clue as to what could be causing that problem.

> Beside this the msp3400 module for my pvrusb2 device
> included in the mainline kernel is not usable for me, because
> it hangs too after some channel-switches. So not funny enough,
> the msp3400 module bundled with the pvrusb2-driver (an older
> version of this module) solves at least this problem. (Looks
> like v4l-people screwed something up with inclusion into the
> mainline kernel).

You should report this to them.  They can't fix problems they don't know
about.

That ehci-hcd/pvrusb2/snd_via82xx problem seems like the most important.
You'll probably need help from the pvrusb2 developers to find out exactly
where it is hanging and what it is waiting for.  It could be waiting for
ehci-hcd, for snd_via82xx, or for something internal.  As it is, we don't
even know where to look.

Alan Stern