[pvrusb2] IR Question?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jan 18 13:07:42 CST 2006

Miephos:

You have to do 2 basic things: Select and load an lirc driver appropriate
to the IR receiver hardware, and then configure lirc to work with the
remote you have.  The first thing obviously has to do with the tuner
device while the other has purely to do with your specific remote.

This probably isn't going to be very helpful, but...

1. Go to LIRC web site and download their tarball.  You want to use
version 0.7.0 or later.

2. Expand it and follow the installation instructions for setting it up.
When you have to choose which lirc driver to use, select the "Hauppauge"
driver.  This is a module that will load into the kernel to operate the
specific chip that exists in all PVR USB2 devices.  Actually it seems that
all Hauppauge devices with IR reception capability apparently use the same
chip (unlike the situation with the tuner types).

3. After the driver module is build, just modprobe it into the kernel.  At
this point, you should see messages from the pvrusb2 driver in the log
reporting that another I2C module has attached itself to the driver.

4. At this point, the procedure to follow is no different than for
anything other LIRC setup.  You need to get the lircd daemon working and
you need to configure it for all the remote(s) you plan on using.  The
pvrusb2 driver snapshot includes an lirc config file for the remote
usually packaged with the device, but if you have/want to use a different
remote then that's really outside the scope of the driver.  But once
you've got the correct lirc kernel module installed and attached to the
pvrusb2 driver then everything from this point forward is "generic" and is
purely an issue having to do with lirc.

The above might not be entirely accurate - the last time I worked through
this process was almost a year ago.  But I have received multiple reports
over time from others who say this all works as expected.

If you substitute "ivtv" for "pvrusb2", then this same procedure should
work for ivtv.  I point this out because there really isn't anything
special that the pvrusb2 driver has to do beyond making the device's
internal I2C bus visible to kernel I2C modules, which it does.

If you use the Debian distro, the lirc sources are also available as a
package there.  However I've found that the packaging is pretty lousy, so
I grabbed the upstream sources instead.

   -Mike