[pvrusb2] Recently lost IR support on my pvrusb2

roger@eskimo.com roger at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 11 00:03:25 CDT 2006

Ok.  I may have had a bad lirc package installed and, even though I may
have stopped all lirc processes & unloaded all old lirc modules, I may
have failed to cold-boot the pvrusb2 device.  This is a possibility.
(On Gentoo, it's possible that lirc-0.8.0-r1 may have been the culprit?)

However, one thing I did do that was unusual to my previous attempts in
the past week is, I rebooted into Windows and actually verified the IR
Remote device H/W was actually working and not broken.  (While in
Windows, I also updated my hauppauge pvrusb2 s/w.)

I rebooted and noted the pvrusb2 i2c remote IR device was finally being
picked up in syslog:

# dmesg |grep i2c
i2c /dev entries driver
i2c-parport: adapter type unspecified
input: i2c IR (Hauppauge) as /class/input/input5
ir-kbd-i2c: i2c IR (Hauppauge) detected at i2c-1/1-0018/ir0 [pvrusb2_a]
lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)

# tail /var/log/messages -n500 |grep i2c
Jul 10 21:32:01 input: i2c IR (Hauppauge) as /class/input/input5
Jul 10 21:32:01 ir-kbd-i2c: i2c IR (Hauppauge) detected at
i2c-1/1-0018/ir0 [pvrusb2_a]
Jul 10 21:41:58 lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)

Packages Now Installed:
app-misc/pvrusb2-20060702
sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.17.1
app-misc/lirc-0.8.0-r3

To verify everything worked and just wasn't a fluke, I cold-booted the
pvrusb2 device and loaded-up Mythtv actually played with the IR Remote
and it did work.

Note, over the past month, I've done several cold boots on both this box
and the pvrusb2 device.  My only guess is I had a bad lirc package
installed and I failed to maybe cold boot the pvrusb2 device after
upgrading lirc -- something was failing at the s/w end.  However, video
was uneffected (/dev/v4l/video0).