[pvrusb2] mythtv and pvrusb2

Roger J. Allen rja at firkraag.rogera.net
Fri Jul 14 17:16:12 CDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Mike Isely wrote:

> Right now, my conclusion is that the pvrusb2 driver is doing things
> correctly and that the problem is rooted in a bad capture resolution set
> within MythTV.  I'd _really_ like to know if this is the case.  So, Renan,
> what capture resolution do you have set, and please read it back via sysfs
> AFTER MythTV has touched the driver (e.g. check the setting while viewing
> live TV).
>
> Clearly there is an unanswered question of how a "bad" resolution can
> trash the video.  That's something I have to investigate.  But it is still
> important to understand if the problem described below is in fact due to a
> strange resolution being set.
>
> I would also very much like to hear from anyone else using the pvrusb2
> driver with MythTV, where the driver version is from the kernel, from V4L,
> or is a standalone snapshot from mid-June onward (tell me which snapshot).
> So, anyone?
>
>   -Mike

I can change the resolution from 720x480 to 480x480 and back to 720x480
again using mythtv with different recording profiles without any obvious
problems.  Last year, I couldn't figure out how to change the resolution,
so I hadn't tried it again until I saw this email.

This is with both:

pvrusb2-mci-20060702
WinTV-PVR-USB2 29032 D2A3
Composite feed from Comcast cable box
Fedora Core 4 with kernel-2.6.17-1.2141_FC4
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
master mythtv-backend-0.19-129.rhfc4.at rpm from atrpms
Current Schema Version: 1123
Starting up as the master server.

and

pvrusb2-mci-20060702
WinTV-PVR-USB2 29032 D168
NTSC tuner feed from Comcast coax
Fedora Core 5 with kernel-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
mythtv-backend-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
Current Schema Version: 1123
Running as a slave backend.

I could run "mplayer /dev/video0" after each time I set the resolution
with mythtv, and that worked OK.  Using xine with the .mpg's that mythtv
created showed the different resolutions with "Alt-i".

--

Roger J. Allen