[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20060607

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jun 20 12:00:28 CDT 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Andreas Korinek wrote:

    [...]

> pvrusb2: /*---TRACE_CTL----*/ decoder enable
> pvrusb2: WARNING: No decoder present

    [...]

> Note the "  WARNING: No decoder present" line. lsmod shows the following:
> Up to 2.6.16 the tda9887 module did the job quite well.

Your lsmod output doesn't show saa7115.  I note that you are running model
29xxx hardware so you need saa7115 present and attached - that's the
decoder that the driver is looking for.  Check that saa7115.ko is in your
kernel modules.  If it isn't you need to rebuild the kernel with the
correct option set to enable that module.  I don't remember the exact
option off the top of my head, but it should be listed in the web pages
(see a message I posted just a couple days ago).

I have not done much (read: essentially no) testing on 2.6.17.  There
might potentially be another problem here, i.e. some other reason why
saa7115.ko isn't present.  However I have tested against the V4L
repository version that went into the 2.6.17 kernel so there should not be
any surprises here.  If anyone would like to report successful operation
under 2.6.17, it would be a useful datapoint to add.

The tda9887 module is part of the tuner / demodulator.  The "decoder" term
here is refering to the digitization of the analog video signal into frame
data (which the cx23416 encoder then uses to create the mpeg data).  For
29xxx devices, the "decoder" is the saa7115 chip, driven by the saa7115.ko
module.  For 24xxx devices, the "decoder" is the cx25840 chip, driven by
the cx25840.ko module.

I plan on doing some pvrusb2 work tonight (been working on integrating the
new cx2341x module that's being introduced into V4L).  If you're still
having trouble at that point, catch me on IRC in #pvrusb2.  I'm in
timezone GMT-5.