[pvrusb2] /dev/video0: Input/output error problem

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jun 29 16:38:26 CDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Wim Bakker wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> For some time now I get annoying I/O errors om my pvr-usb2 :
> (kernel 2.6.17.1 with pvrusb2-mci-20060607 pvr driver
> and the standard kernel modules)
>
> cat: /dev/video0: Input/output error
>
> The message log shows this at the moment of an I/O error :
> I set up the device to watch a program :

    [...]

Wim:

First, did this just start happening and if so have you changed anything
(e.g. driver snapshot, different USB controller, different USB port, USB
hub, etc)?  Or has this been going on for a while?

We should probably dig a little deeper but my instinct says that a USB
error occurred and the driver shut down the pipe because of it.  This is
suggestive of something flakey in the USB transport.  It _could_ be a
pvrusb2 bug, but I would expect many people to see this if it is the case.
(Is anyone else having this problem?  And yes, I know one other person has
seen this sort of thing but that IIRC is due to a known bad USB
controller.)

I'll look at the driver a little later, but there should be some log
messages possible at the point where the error(s) take place.

There's also a module option "tolerance" that you can use to make the
driver more forgiving of USB errors.  Look at www.isely.net/pvrusb2 and
drill down to the usage page for more info on this (and a caution).  If
"tolerance" does help, I'd still like to see if we can figure out exactly
what is going on.