[pvrusb2] /dev/video0: Input/output error problem

Wim Bakker w.bakker32 at chello.nl
Thu Jun 29 17:12:05 CDT 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 23:38, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Wim Bakker wrote:
> > Hello ,
> >
> > For some time now I get annoying I/O errors om my pvr-usb2 :
> > (kernel 2.6.17.1 with pvrusb2-mci-20060607 pvr driver
> > and the standard kernel modules)
> >
> > cat: /dev/video0: Input/output error
> >
> > The message log shows this at the moment of an I/O error :
> > I set up the device to watch a program :
>
>     [...]
>
> Wim:
>
> First, did this just start happening and if so have you changed anything
> (e.g. driver snapshot, different USB controller, different USB port, USB
> hub, etc)?  Or has this been going on for a while?
>
> We should probably dig a little deeper but my instinct says that a USB
> error occurred and the driver shut down the pipe because of it.  This is
> suggestive of something flakey in the USB transport.   And yes, I know one
other person has
> seen this sort of thing but that IIRC is due to a known bad USB
> controller.)

Hello,

Bad USB , I feared allready that would be the case , and I suspect why.
I have a wireless keyboard and mouse on the usb bus and the pvr , and
my sata pci-card (a sill 3114) , shares the same interrupt as the usb-bus.
My PC is a kind of a weird construction I made myself , from aluminium
, a 19" tft panel I found, with a backlight inverter , together with a mini
ITX board from commell (677X) , constructed at the back of it (kind of an
iMac idea) , with two notebook SATA drives , but the 677X does not have
SATA ports onboard , so I have a low profile SIL3114 , together with
a riser card allso there , and I think that is where the problems started.
The USB bus and the sata card have the same IRQ , e.g. I can't enable
bios support for the usb keyboard because than the sata card can't load
its firmware from rom, and I think the pvr device suffers from this conflict
too. Is this possible? If so , I have a real problem, because my PC is too
nice to let go, and I will have to find another mini ITX  board with sata on
board , but allso with a true 24 bit lvds interface , otherwise my tft panel
won't work anymore, and there are none of those boards.

I look at the tolerance thingy tomorrow , maybe it offers soulaas.

Thanks
Wim Bakker