[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 driver status for new hardware version

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Mar 7 01:11:23 CST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Arnaud Boulan wrote:

> Le Lundi 06 Mars 2006 21:15, Hans Verkuil a écrit :
>
>>> Well possibly.  But since I don't have a PVR150 to compare with I
>>> can't be sure.  Also we're limited here by what the FX2 controller
>>> will perform on behalf of the host.  We had discussed before the
>>> possibility of getting VBI working and I had noted at the time that
>>> the FX2 firmware seemed to support operation of another USB endpoint
>>> for additional data, like perhaps VBI outside of the mpeg2 stream.
>>> The firmware in the new device seems to have removed the commands for
>>> operation of that endpoint :-(
>>
>> Ouch.
>
> Maybe it would be interesting to write our own fx2 firmware for the pvrusb2
> device?

Interesting thought.  Though I have full technical specs on the FX2, I
*think* there is a special tool needed to generate the code for
programming the non-trivial DMA engine.  And though I do have a fairly
nicely tricked-out 8051 disassembler now (took an open source disassembler
and added lots of nice features for code analysis), I don't have an
assembler or linker for the 8051.  Another area of trouble might be the
cx23416 interface - it is not I2C based and there's a lot of GPIO bit
manipulation that I don't understand very well which is being done in the
firmware to operate that chip.