[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 driver status for new hardware version

Arnaud Boulan arnaud.boulan at libertysurf.fr
Tue Mar 7 04:04:19 CST 2006

Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> a écrit :

>> Maybe it would be interesting to write our own fx2 firmware for the pvrusb2
>> device?
>>

> Interesting thought.  Though I have full technical specs on the FX2,
> I *think* there is a special tool needed to generate the code for
> programming the non-trivial DMA engine.  And though I do have a
> fairly nicely tricked-out 8051 disassembler now (took an open source
> disassembler and added lots of nice features for code analysis), I
> don't have an assembler or linker for the 8051.  Another area of
> trouble might be the cx23416 interface - it is not I2C based and
> there's a lot of GPIO bit manipulation that I don't understand very
> well which is being done in the firmware to operate that chip.
>
>   -Mike

Hello,
I have been playing for a few months with an USB/FPGA experimentation
board that has a usb fx2 in it. I have written a firmware for this card
that could be used as a code base for writing a firmware for the
pvrusb2. I have been using the sdcc compiler that works pretty well,
and I also used a self modified version of a 8051 disassembler to
understand the original firmware :)
There is indeed a (unfortunately windows only) tool that can be used to
generate the gpif tables: the gpif designer, that can be downloaded
from the cypress web site. However, i didn't find it that user frindly
and found that it is possible to write the gpif wave forms by hands
without too much difficulties with only the reference manual.

My firmware already works in the pvrusb2 for doing i2c transfers, i
have been able to dump the eeprom with it for example (although with a
custom userspace program and the libusb library, not with the pvrusb2
driver)

If you are interested i could share it with you.

Arnaud