[pvrusb2] ivtv cx2341x.h etc

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Mar 13 16:43:05 CST 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was compiling pvrusb2 on a 2.6.16 rc4 kernel.
> As for that version I do not need ivtv I decided to
> move the directory out of the way to avoid accidental
> inclusion of .h files.
>
> However when I did that I noticed that cx2341x.h is
> included from the ivtv dir. This file does not exist
> in my kernel tree.
>
> I was a little bit surprised as I thought nothing of
> ivtv is needed. Is this a known issue?
>
> Best regards, Frans.

It's safe to keep that header around.  What's going on is that cx2341x.h
defines the various command codes used to operate the cx23416 encoder
chip.  It doesn't do anything else.  Previously that information had been
separately hand-coded into both ivtv and in pvrusb2 (inside
pvrusb2-encoder.c)  Recently that information was lifted out and placed
into a new V4L header dedicated to that purpose.  I modified the pvrusb2
driver to use that, and since cx2341x.h currently only really exists in
the V4L tree, I just pulled it into the ivtv area to still let things
build standalone.  Arguably that header is "not" purely ivtv, but I was
loath to complicate things further by creating yet another directory in
the source snapshot and I also didn't want to dump that header into the
driver source directory itself since it technically is not a part of the
driver either.

So the short summary is: Just bring the header back and you're fine.
There's no risk of entangling anything else from doing that.