[pvrusb2] Success with Fedora Core 5 test 3

M Reid hiremichaelreid at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 18 08:50:59 CST 2006

Great driver Mike!

I bought my PVR USB2 in late December specifically because this driver seemed to function well enough, and because I needed a tuner that was easily portable between PCs and my tablet PC.

I previously had this running on Fedora Core 4 on a 3 year old ASUS SIS based motherboard with USB 1.1. It took some manual fiddling with the V4L modules and occasionally the video appeared to flash briefly (USB 1.1?) but it worked reasonably reliably. I have had to power down and up the tuner sometimes though.

I'm happy to report success with Fedora Core 5 test 3 now. I had to fool KBuild into thinking the kernel version was 2.6.16 though; FC5 reports kernel as 2.6.15-1. I also had to comment out 3 lines of one of the V4L headers.

I think FC5 final will be released Monday and will be kernel 2.6.16.

I have this running MythTV on an MSI Nvidia 6100 based motherboard. Everything seems to work OK after the expected fiddling around including LIRC. I may still have the occasional flash on the screen; I'll monitor.

I'm going to try this out with Core 5 final on an MSI Nvidia 6150 based board next. I'll use a PVR-350 in addition because I must have closed caption support. Please consider adding closed caption.

Thanks for all your hard work on the driver!

Mike.