[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20060318

roger roger at eskimo.com
Sat Mar 18 19:40:28 CST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 18:33 -0600, Mike Isely wrote:

> 1. The firmware files have been renamed.  The new names are listed in the
> documentation, and this driver will still fall back to the old names if
> the files could not be found under their new names.  Also, I've improved
> the log messages in this area so you can see what names were or were not
> found during initialization.  I've updated fwextract.pl to handle all this
> however fwfind.sh probably still needs changes...  Roger: Care to
> investigate this?

I've put this on my agenda as time permits.

Any ideas on the future handling of device firmwares?

About the only way I can think of handling proprietary binary firmwares
is hosting them all on a remote website database.  And for users
systems, create a package called "firmwares" that will sense devices
needing additional firmwares and downloading them from the
database.  ... just a thought.  ... or maybe manufacturers will provide
some help along these lines?

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html