[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20060318

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Mar 18 18:33:00 CST 2006

A new driver snapshot is available.  You can find the details in the usual
place:

   http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2.html

Most of the changes with this release are things needed for support of the
new 24xxx model series, HOWEVER there are still other changes needed which
I haven't proved in yet.  Basically what I've been doing here is
committing various changes as I conclude that each change doesn't harm the
stability of operating the existing hardware.

There are also changes here needed for acceptance into V4L (and still more
changes coming there).

Two changes in particular might affect you:

1. The firmware files have been renamed.  The new names are listed in the
documentation, and this driver will still fall back to the old names if
the files could not be found under their new names.  Also, I've improved
the log messages in this area so you can see what names were or were not
found during initialization.  I've updated fwextract.pl to handle all this
however fwfind.sh probably still needs changes...  Roger: Care to
investigate this?

2. I've reworked the streaming logic in a significant way for the first
time in over 6 months.  The new logic will filter garbage from the front
of the stream.  It turns out that the hardware has been emitting some
initial garbage all along (for reasons not understood).  With the 29xxx
model series, this has been a benign problem, but with the new devices the
particular garbage data emitted is fatal to mythtv and ffmpeg (but not
mplayer).  This change implemenents filtering out of that junk.

I still have more changes to make for supporting the new hardware.  This
new snapshot is a whole bunch of steps in that direction.  My focus right
now is support for the new hardware plus changes to satisfy requirements
for inclusion into V4L (and thus inclusion into the kernel source tree
which it is hoped now will happen in time for 2.6.17).

BTW, the model census info I've collected (and am still collecting - send
me your model info) is in the snapshot under the doc subdirectory, as
"models.txt".

I realize that the existing pvrusb2 web documentation is in need of more
updates.  The documentation in its current form is still accurate, but it
could use a rework to improve readability.  I need to move all the module
gunk out to separate html files and probably auto-generate the change
history out to its own file as well.  The new 24xxx model series is going
to introduce a different 8051 firmware image (with its own name) and also
with that device there will be a THIRD firmware file that must be
extracted (for the cx25840 in the device).  I've already updated
fwextract.pl to handle all this, but the documentation doesn't yet reflect
that fact (however fwextract.pl should still compatibly operate OK with
the way people already use it).

Please let me know if anyone sees any new issues.