[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot Report .... SUCCESS !

Steven Karp skarp at mysk.org
Tue Mar 28 19:35:51 CST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 1:21 pm, Barry Jett wrote:
> I am happy to report success from the new snapshot on my Debian "Etch"
> system and 2040:2400 Hauppauge box.

Hmmm.  Can somebody clarify if these steps:

> 2) Apt-get install the kernel image and modify the FWSEND of
> ./linux/drivers/media/video/cx25840/cx25840.c per Mike's instructions
>
> 3) Configure & compile the kernel but don't install.  I know there is a way
> to compile a single module but I've long since forgotten how.
>
> 4) Rename the existing cx25840.ko (like cx25840.ko.old) and move the newly
> compiled module in its place.
>
> 7) After reboot, do a 'rmmod wm8775'  followed by a 'modprobe wm8775
> force=-1,27' per Mikes instructions.

are necessary for *all* versions of the hardware, or just the new version?

I can confirm that if you do *not* do these steps, then the new snapshot does
*not* work on my Suse 10.0 setup with the older hardware.  All the modules
appear to load, but /dev/video* doesn't appear, and attempting to modprobe -r
the pvrusb2 module hangs my system to the point that I need to hit the power
button to shut it off.

The 18-Mar-06 snapshot is working fine.

If someone can confirm the necessity for the above steps, I'm willing to give
it a shot, especially if there's a way to just compile cx25840 instead of the
whole kernel...  Note, though, that my Hauppauge box is borrowed, so if I'm
going to try this, it'll need to be in the next couple of days.

	S.