[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot Report .... SUCCESS ! ....follow up notes

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Mar 29 07:56:54 CST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Barry Jett wrote:

> Mike and all,
>
> I've had a chance to play with my 2040:2400 Hauppague box after getting the
> latest snapshot to work. Here's what I've found on my Debian 2.6.15-1
> system.
>
> Xawtv 4.0
> - scantv    works ... no issues
> - xawtv    no picture or audio ... receive message "mpeg stream
>              timed out - 3 sec". I see the led on the Hauppauge light
>              for a brief period of time and go out.

When this happens, check your system log and look for a message of the
form: "pvr2_ioread_read id=<x> ZERO Request? Returning zero."  There has
been a misbehavior involving xawtv over time where it issues read()
requests with a length of zero; when this happens any response the
response from the driver will be zero which unfortunately mean EOF and
then xawtv closes the channel.  Do you see those messages?  If so, then
the problem is (still) in xawtv.  (This happens sporadically.)  If not, it
may be something new.

> Mplayer 1.0pre7try2-3.4.6
> - mplayer tv://             no success and no light on the Hauppage

That is not expected to ever work.  When mplayer is run in this mode it
apparently dumbs itself down such that it expects uncompressed video data
which this driver will not produce.

> - mplayer /dev/video0   picture but no audio

If the cx25840 firmware does not get loaded then this will be the symptom.
This can also happen if the FWSEND change I described isn't done (or
otherwise made effective).  If you manually reload cx25840.ko with the
argument debug=1 then that module should print a message to the log when
it successfully loads the firmware.

Another possibility is well documented in the FAQ.  When xawtv exits it
will mute the audio via a V4L command.  When mplayer is run this way it
can't know about V4L commands and so it won't unmute the audio.  In this
situation you can manually unmute it (echo a "0" into
"/sys/class/pvrusb2/sn-<nnnnnn>/ctl_mute/cur_val".

> Mythtv-0.19
> - no joy yet on mythtv ..Watch TV did get me a brief light on the
>  Hauppauge but no picture, and scanning for channels in the setup
>  didn't appear to recognize the device.

I wouldn't worry about this until you verify that mplayer is working.
However when you do configure MythTV, tell it you're talking to a PVR-250
and disable VBI.  (This is also described in the pvrusb2 web page.)

> Working Solution
>
> Starting 'mplayer /dev/video0' and then starting xawtv, I get both
> picture and sound .   I can also change channels and switch between
> the composite and tuner from the xawtv application.

Ah, that sounds like the mute interaction.

> Driver Instability
>
> I haven't seen the issue Mike mentioned in his last post as of yet but
> I will report if I do.

The instability reported seems to be specific to using the msp3400 module.
Your hardware uses a cx25840 in place of the msp3400 so you at least
should not have to worry _this_ problem.