[pvrusb2] Working but....

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Mar 30 21:24:43 CST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Luc Bouchard wrote:

> Mike Isely wrote:
>
>> Try /sys/class/pvrusb2 instead.
>>
> I'll check that tonight.

The /sys/modules/pvrusb2 path you indicated before is something
*completely* different.  That's a side effect of the kernel module loader;
I don't do anything to create or otherwise affect that area.  Stuff under
/sys/class/pvrusb2 is where the driver influences things.

>> The firmware files have been renamed.  The web page info shows what the
>> new names should be.  This was done to conform better to V4L standards.
>> Also, if you look at your dmesg output, the file names being looked for
>> are logged so when it fails it should be obvious what is being attempted.
>>
>> However, with all that said, the driver should still be falling back to
>> the old firmware file names if it can't find the new ones.  I'm a little
>> puzzled by that.  But clues to that mystery should be in your dmesg
>> output.
>>
>>   -Mike
>>

> I was in a hurry to get it installed so did not really get into it with
> the new snapshot.  I'll have time to try again later.  The problems were
> occuring on a completely fresh install without the old firmware
> present.  All the testing I had done with the Feb snapshot was on
> another machine, likely the one I'll be testing the new snapshot on.
> You gotta having a USB device, makes testing so much easier.

Definitely you want to look at the system log and see which firmware files
it was looking for.  Also check that your freshly installed system isn't
expecting to load firmware from a different directory.

> Thanks for a fantastic driver by the way, it let's me re-use existing
> hardware for my newly built Myth box.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Lately I haven't felt so great
about this driver, what with all the thrashing needed for V4L/kernel
inclusion plus this new hardware support happening at the same time, and
then this kernel oops problem that apparently has been lurking for over a
year.  But I'll just keep chippin' away at this...