[pvrusb2] Trouble with lirc

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue May 9 00:51:52 CDT 2006

On Mon, 8 May 2006, Rick Immel wrote:

> How do you setup lirc for pvrusb2?  I am running a 2.6.16 kernel and the
> latest version of lirc (0.8.0) will not compile.  I was able to obtain a
> CVS snapshot of lirc (0.8.1) that does compile, but will not work.  Is
> there another version I should be using?  I assume that you setup lirc
> for a Hauppauge PVR-x50 card just like you setup up MythTV.  Is that
> correct?   Or should you setup lirc  as a USB or serial device?   In
> other words, what should you select in the setup.sh menus to configure
> lirc?  BTW both the pvrusb2 driver and MythTV are  working OK.

Rick:

Your assumption is correct; set up lirc for a Hauppauge PVR-x50 card.  The
lirc driver you need is the I2C driver, NOT any kind of USB driver.  The
actual IR receiver is an I2C chip inside the PVR USB2 device itself; the
pvrusb2 driver exports an I2C adapter interface to the kernel through
which the lirc I2C driver will attach an operate the chip.  So from the
viewpoint of lirc this is all I2C and the USB aspect of the device is
completely invisible to it.

I probably should add a clarification about this.  It never even occurred
to me that the fact that the PVR USB2 device is a USB peripheral that
there might be some confusion here.

As for the other issues you hit with compiling lirc, I can't suggest much
there.  I've been running lirc 0.7.0 here on a somewhat older kernel.
Whatever that problem is must be related to lirc and the kernel and not to
the pvrusb2 driver itself.  But, if you do get it to compile, it's the
"Hauppauge" (aka I2C) driver that you want to select.