[pvrusb2] back-end application

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Nov 5 16:23:16 CST 2006

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Abe Shan wrote:

> After following Mike Isley's excellent documentation and compiling the
> kernel 2.6.18, I can see snow on screen with kaeffeine (fifo://)  and
> mplayer (/dev/video). The led on the wintv lights up as well.
>
> Now, my question is what is the best way to watch and use the system. From
> reading the documentation, I gather xawtv-4.x is the best bet. However, I
> have not been able to compile the snapshot (missing ./configure). Are there
> other alternatives?

Probably the _best_ way is to install and use MythTV with your device.
Unfortunately the setup for MythTV can be, well, involved.  But the result
is very very rewarding.

Using xawtv-4.x is a good alternative, but building it can be a bit of a
challenge.  The "missing" configure script IIRC is actually generated.
You have to run another script first: autogen.sh.  Yes, I know the README
doesn't mention this, but it's not my program so don't shoot the messenger
:-)

BTW, the pvrusb2 driver controls the LED a little differently than
Windows.  In Windows, it seems that the LED turns on as soon as the driver
initializes the device.  The pvrusb2 driver in Linux however only turns on
the LED when it's actually streaming video from the device.  So you can
use the LED to know when it is active.