[pvrusb2] back-end application

Aaron Newcomb anewcomb2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 19:01:46 CST 2006

Abe,

MythTV works great. It uses mplayer by default, but you can change
that in the preferences to use whatever player you want as log as it
runs from the command line. I have changed it to use xine and I
haven't had any problems. You can also find a good tutorial for
setting up Myth on Ubuntu at the url below.

http://www.parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php

On 11/5/06, Abe Shan <lba777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I tend to have a bias against overloaded packages, so I tried installing
> freevo, instead of MythTV. However, at the core, it still uses mplayer and
> so I got stuck.
>
> Does MythTV bypass mplayer? And also, what is the most convenient way of
> installing it -- compiling source vs apt-get (i am on dapper with kernel
> 2.6.18).
>
> Thanks for your help!
> abe
>

> Probably the _best_ way is to install and use MythTV with your device.
> > Unfortunately the setup for MythTV can be, well, involved.  But the result
> > is very very rewarding.
>

> Using xawtv-4.x is a good alternative, but building it can be a bit of a
> > challenge.  The "missing" configure script IIRC is actually generated.
> > You have to run another script first: autogen.sh.  Yes, I know the README
> > doesn't mention this, but it's not my program so don't shoot the messenger
> > :-)
>

> BTW, the pvrusb2 driver controls the LED a little differently than
> > Windows.  In Windows, it seems that the LED turns on as soon as the driver
> > initializes the device.  The pvrusb2 driver in Linux however only turns on
> > the LED when it's actually streaming video from the device.  So you can
> > use the LED to know when it is active.
> >
> >   -Mike
> >
> > --
> >                         |         Mike Isely          |     PGP
> > fingerprint
> >      Spammers Die!!     |                             | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5
> > CC 92
> >                         |   isely @ pobox (dot) com   | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5
> > C1 E8

Thanks,