[pvrusb2] Tuning problems

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Nov 24 14:32:36 CST 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Ivar Katmo wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I'm using the in-kernel driver on an Ubuntu system.
>
> Things that are working:
>
> I got no errors in the dmesg, so the driver loads
> correct.
>
> The log also says:
>   tuner 1-0061: Frequency: 175.25 Mhz
>
> That happends to be NRK, Norway biggest channel.
>
> So when I start VLC Media player, select File->Open
> capture device, PVR and click OK that channels shows.
> Yippi!
>
> But I can't tune the other channels. I've tried
> changing the frequency in VLC and tried searching with
> xawtv (never managed to tune any stations in xawtv at
> all).

I suspect that you won't be able to tune in VLC, because IIRC you have to run
it there like a "dumb" device, i.e. VLC can't know it is dealing with a V4L
device.  As for xawtv, you need to set up a frequency table first (see next).

Try using the sysfs interface of the driver to change the frequency.  It
probably isn't what you would want to do on a normal basis, but this would at
least tell you that the driver is OK.

> scantv returns "open failed [dev/vbi]" after selecting
> TV norm and frequency table.

Don't worry about /dev/vbi; that isn't implemented in the pvrusb2 driver and
it isn't needed for tuning.  In scantv you can pass /dev/null for the vbi
device name and it should work fine.