[pvrusb2] driver (auto) loading problem

bartek szurgot warg0d at go2.pl
Mon Oct 2 15:03:39 CDT 2006

On Monday 02 October 2006 19:46, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, bartek szurgot wrote:
>
> > this exacly what i've bought:
> >
> > http://www.allegro.pl/item129482199_wintv_pvr_usb.html
> >
> > that is 0x2040:0xa7f9 ... :/
> >
> > i was sure this "usb2" is equivalent for "usb 2.0" standard, but i can see
now
> > that device should be rather called "pvr2 usb", am i right? :(
> >
> > do you know about any driver for this device, or will i be forced to by
new
> > one?
>
> Wow.  It certainly "looks" the same.  That 0xa7f9 device ID really looks
> suspect - it's not the usual pattern I'd expect.  Are you *sure* that
> number is right?

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

[...]
T:  Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=2040 ProdID=a7f9 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=NetChip Technology, Inc.
S:  Product=Hauppauge MPEG-2 USB Encoder
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 4 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=1ms
E:  Ad=84(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=1ms
[...]

i was also a bit supprised, thou... :)

> When you extracted the firmware, was it extracted from the driver CD you
> got with the device?  If it was, then that's strong evidence that this
> device should work, though I'm quite puzzled over the bizarre USB device
> ID.  You could try to force the issue by tweaking the pvrusb2 driver a
> bit: Edit pvrusb2-hdw.c and search for "2040".  That should lead you to a
> table of device IDs (with two entries).  You could try changing one entry
> to match your device ID and see if things work a little better.

driver was downloaded from internet - this device was bought from previous
user and i don't have its oryginal CD, nor pilot.
i'll ask him if he could search for this CD a bit...
tomorow i'll try to edit the driver (i've already tried
editing /lib/modules/2.6.18/modules.usbmap adding a liner for my device - the
effect was the same as i would plug device in and modprobe driver manualy.

> One other thing: There should be a white sticker on the device.  That's
> the only real evidence of exactly what this thing is.  Can you read that
> sticker and send me verbatim what it shows?

there are 2 stickers on the bottom.
1st:

hauppauge! computer works inc.
model 43214 rev e442 pal-b/g-i
[...donotswallothebatteriesetc...]

2nd:
2402 6029714

i can make a few pictures for you and send them tomorow.

>   -Mike
>
> --
>                         |         Mike Isely          |     PGP fingerprint
>      Spammers Die!!     |                             | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC
92
>                         |   isely @ pobox (dot) com   | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1
E8