[pvrusb2] driver (auto) loading problem

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Oct 2 12:46:07 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, bartek szurgot wrote:

> this exacly what i've bought:
>
> http://www.allegro.pl/item129482199_wintv_pvr_usb.html
>
> that is 0x2040:0xa7f9 ... :/
>
> i was sure this "usb2" is equivalent for "usb 2.0" standard, but i can see now
> that device should be rather called "pvr2 usb", am i right? :(
>
> do you know about any driver for this device, or will i be forced to by new
> one?

Wow.  It certainly "looks" the same.  That 0xa7f9 device ID really looks
suspect - it's not the usual pattern I'd expect.  Are you *sure* that
number is right?

When you extracted the firmware, was it extracted from the driver CD you
got with the device?  If it was, then that's strong evidence that this
device should work, though I'm quite puzzled over the bizarre USB device
ID.  You could try to force the issue by tweaking the pvrusb2 driver a
bit: Edit pvrusb2-hdw.c and search for "2040".  That should lead you to a
table of device IDs (with two entries).  You could try changing one entry
to match your device ID and see if things work a little better.

One other thing: There should be a white sticker on the device.  That's
the only real evidence of exactly what this thing is.  Can you read that
sticker and send me verbatim what it shows?