[pvrusb2] driver (auto) loading problem

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Oct 5 23:25:05 CDT 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, bartek szurgot wrote:

> this will be a little-off-topic:
>
> what i actualy need is to be able to capture signal from analog camera (via
> s-video or rca) on my linux laptot. tuner is unnecesariy here. since i have
> laptop, device needs to have USB interface (no free PCMCIA available).
> could someone please recomend me such a device that will work with linux for
> 100% and is cheap (i'm afraid new hauppauge pvr usb2 isn't :/ )?

Well to be fair, it seems that you don't really _have_ the type of PVR
USB2 device for which this driver is intended.  Sorry :-(

Did you ever try editing in the USB ID of your device into the driver?
If this really is an older variant of the same device, you might see some
signs of life out of it (maybe...).

As for what to suggest, if you do get an actual 24xxx or 29xxx PVR USB2
device, then it would certainly do the job.  It might technically be
overkill, though I suspect that the incremental cost from the tuner
section is minimal (Dirt cheap PCI TV tuner cards use the same kind of
tuner section).  I suppose you could find a more dedicated (i.e. no tuner)
video capture device.  I've seen such USB peripheral devices for sale
which are marketed just for the purpose of transferring VCR home
recordings over to DVD (using their included Windows software of course).
I unfortunately have no experience with those devices at all and have no
idea how well such a thing might be supported in Linux.