[pvrusb2] Still having audio troubles

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Oct 14 21:23:35 CDT 2006

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006, Aaron Newcomb wrote:

> I have tried using different cables on 3 different computers with
> different driver versions. Could it be that I need to update my

Actually, I was thinking of the audio cable.  If the USB cable were a
problem (if in fact that's what you were thinking of) then of course
nothing at all would work.  If you meant the audio cable then please
disregard my reply here :-)

> firmware and extract it again? The firmware I am using is either the
> original firmware that came with the unit or maybe I updated it once
> over a year ago. Is there a way to find out the level of firmware that
> is loaded in the unit? Thanks for you help Mike! You are always
> willing to respond with helpful suggestions.

The msp3400 does not need any firmware.  The places where the firmware has
an effect on your device are the cx23416 and the FX2.  The cx23416 is your
mpeg2 encoder; if the firmware there were bad you wouldn't get anything.
The FX2 is the central processor in the device, and if that were bad then
the driver wouldn't be able to communicate at all with it.  In any case,
no explicit audio data actually even flows through the FX2.  By the time
the FX2 gets the data it is already bound up with video inside the mpeg2
stream.

However certainly there's no harm in trying new firmware.  I just don't
think it's going to help.

Again, if this were a 24xxx model then the situation is different.  In
that case, the cx25840's audio side requires firmware to be loaded and if
that were messed up you would get video but no audio - however in that
case you would not get audio for the RF input either.