[pvrusb2] fwextract.pl doesn't recursively search subdirectories

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Oct 23 14:08:24 CDT 2006

There is a minor issue with fwextract.pl and the documentation supporting
it.  The fwextract.pl program only searches through the exact directory it
is told to look into; it will not recurse into subdirectories.  The
fwextract.pl program is very literal in its interpretation of "the
directory" it is told to examine.  Honestly it never even occurred to me
to think about this, but with recent Hauppauge driver packages the files
you really need to point fwextract.pl are in a subdirectory within the zip
file.  Thus if you just expand the zip file and point fwextract.pl at its
top level then it won't find anything.  Instead you need to point
fwextract.pl inside the extracted tree, at the DriverD2 subdirectory to be
exact.  The fact that the pvrusb2 documentation says nothing at all about
nested subdirectories just obfuscates this whole situation.

I'll see about updating the documentation to clarify this and also
modifying fwextract.pl to either implicitly search any nested
subdirectories or to at least print a warning / suggestion if it
encounters a nested subdirectory during its search...