[pvrusb2] fwextract.pl doesn't recursively search subdirectories

roger roger at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 23 15:09:40 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 14:08 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> There is a minor issue with fwextract.pl and the documentation supporting
> it.  The fwextract.pl program only searches through the exact directory it
> is told to look into; it will not recurse into subdirectories.  The
> fwextract.pl program is very literal in its interpretation of "the
> directory" it is told to examine.  Honestly it never even occurred to me
> to think about this, but with recent Hauppauge driver packages the files
> you really need to point fwextract.pl are in a subdirectory within the zip
> file.  Thus if you just expand the zip file and point fwextract.pl at its
> top level then it won't find anything.  Instead you need to point
> fwextract.pl inside the extracted tree, at the DriverD2 subdirectory to be
> exact.  The fact that the pvrusb2 documentation says nothing at all about
> nested subdirectories just obfuscates this whole situation.
>
> I'll see about updating the documentation to clarify this and also
> modifying fwextract.pl to either implicitly search any nested
> subdirectories or to at least print a warning / suggestion if it
> encounters a nested subdirectory during its search...
>
>   -Mike

fwfind.sh was a solution for fwextract.pl not recursing sub-folders.
(in other words, I didn't really see a need to patch fwextract.pl with a
feature -- besides, i don't know perl -- only bash! ;-).

fwfind.sh would recurse subfolders, cdrom drives, and if all else fails,
wget from the net (which it probably did more times then anything
else. ;-).

As well all know now, the firmwares are now published on ivtv for easy
access.  Gentoo Distro pvrfirmwares ebuild grabs firmwares from there.
I'm sure other distributions will start providing a similar package
(albeit, RedHat might be one that does... :-/ )  This is why I say,
might want to pull my fwextract.sh from the pvrusb2 source tarball as I
don't think it'll be utilized much anymore.  (Watch google.com and
you'll see ivtv get lots of lov'n!)

My two cents?  At most document it -- and hopefully package maintainers
will be doing this kind of stuff?  (Scripting is easy for us. ;-)

Just trying to save you some time.

I thought fwextract.pl stated within the --help that you need the
firmwares in the same folder? ..mm... maybe not.  I would just toss
something within --help.  (ok. i'm rambling... must mean i'm tired.)
--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Mon Oct 23 13:06:43 PDT 2006