[pvrusb2] fwextract.pl doesn't recursively search subdirectories

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Oct 24 21:45:18 CDT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Mike Isely wrote:

> There is a minor issue with fwextract.pl and the documentation supporting
> it.  The fwextract.pl program only searches through the exact directory it
> is told to look into; it will not recurse into subdirectories.  The
> fwextract.pl program is very literal in its interpretation of "the
> directory" it is told to examine.  Honestly it never even occurred to me
> to think about this, but with recent Hauppauge driver packages the files
> you really need to point fwextract.pl are in a subdirectory within the zip
> file.  Thus if you just expand the zip file and point fwextract.pl at its
> top level then it won't find anything.  Instead you need to point
> fwextract.pl inside the extracted tree, at the DriverD2 subdirectory to be
> exact.  The fact that the pvrusb2 documentation says nothing at all about
> nested subdirectories just obfuscates this whole situation.
>
> I'll see about updating the documentation to clarify this and also
> modifying fwextract.pl to either implicitly search any nested
> subdirectories or to at least print a warning / suggestion if it
> encounters a nested subdirectory during its search...
>
>   -Mike

Problem solved.

I've updated fwextract.pl to recursively search all nested subdirectories.
I've also updated the documentation so that this is mentioned, and I've
included a warning about the fact that it will probably take a LONG time
to extract the firmware if you accidentally (for example) specified "/" as
the "windows directory" (however it will probably still find it if you
wait long enough and have enough virtual memory)...

I've also modified fwextract.pl slightly so that the --driverDir option
name can be dropped.  Just list the directory to scan on the command line.
In fact, you can list multiple directories and they will all be scanned.
The --driverDir option is still present to preserve old behavior and if
nothing at all is specified then "win_driver" is still the default.

There's no new driver snapshot strictly needed for this, since you can
grab fwextract.pl directly from the site using this link:

  http://www.isely.net/downloads/fwextract.pl

The next snapshot of course will include this.  As always, the main
pvrusb2 web page can be found here:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html