[pvrusb2] This mailing list and gmane

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Sep 1 08:37:18 CDT 2006

This pvrusb2 mailing list has been subscribed to the gmane mail-to-news
gateway.  What this means is that posts here are going to show up in a
newsgroup and that gmane is going to relay messages from the newsgroup
back into the mailing list.

I'm not sure this is a good idea.

My main concern is spam.  Right now the pvrusb2 list _only_ allows posts
from confirmed subscribers.  I set it up this way to keep the list from
being spammed.  But now we have an external entity acting as a proxy for
submitting messages.  Anyone posting on the newsgroup can find his/her
message appearing here.  So now the "confirmed subscriber" safety valve
has been violated.  This worries me that it might be opening up the list
to receiving of spam.  The message I received detailing this also points
out that the gateway can be made to be 1-way, i.e. posts not forwarded.
That would solve the spam risk, but then I don't intend on monitoring that
newsgroup and so people who post there are going to go unanswered.

Does anyone have any opinion about this?  I don't have a lot of personal
experience with gmane, but if people can convince me that it's OK then I'm
OK with it too.  If there are people here that object to the gateway (even
just 1 or 2 people), then I'll sever the connection permanently.

For the moment I've put the gateway's subscriber address on moderation and
suspended posts to it so the gateway is effectively disabled.