[pvrusb2] This mailing list and gmane

Philip Ross phil.ross at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 09:23:01 CDT 2006

On 01/09/06, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:

> This pvrusb2 mailing list has been subscribed to the gmane mail-to-news
> gateway.  What this means is that posts here are going to show up in a
> newsgroup and that gmane is going to relay messages from the newsgroup
> back into the mailing list.

I submitted the list to Gmane as I prefer to read mailing lists
through a newsreader.

> I'm not sure this is a good idea.
>
> My main concern is spam.  Right now the pvrusb2 list _only_ allows posts
> from confirmed subscribers.  I set it up this way to keep the list from
> being spammed.  But now we have an external entity acting as a proxy for
> submitting messages.  Anyone posting on the newsgroup can find his/her
> message appearing here.  So now the "confirmed subscriber" safety valve
> has been violated.  This worries me that it might be opening up the list
> to receiving of spam.  The message I received detailing this also points
> out that the gateway can be made to be 1-way, i.e. posts not forwarded.
> That would solve the spam risk, but then I don't intend on monitoring that
> newsgroup and so people who post there are going to go unanswered.

Gmane doesn't act as a typical mail to usenet gateway. Any posts to
the newsgroup are sent directly to the mailing list. Only messages
received back from the list appear in the newsgroup.

As the pvrusb2 list only allows subscribers to post, only people who
are confirmed subscribers to the list will be able to use Gmane to
send messages to the list.  Gmane also requries that people posting
through the newsgroup validate their from address.  Details of the
posting process can be found at: http://gmane.org/post-details.php

The 1-way mode you saw described would make the newsgroup in Gmane
completely read-only (i.e. posts would be rejected by the Gmane news
server).

Gmane doesn't feed the gmane.* hierarchy out.  The mailing list
newsgroups only appear on the Gmane server.

Its probably also worth noting that the Gmane administrator has a
similar anti-spam stance to you. See http://gmane.org/about.php

Phil