[pvrusb2] Newbie questions

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Sep 6 17:18:20 CDT 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Ivar Katmo wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This is my first post here, so hello from Norway :)
>
> First of all; Even thou I've installed Linux several
> times I'm still pretty new to it (I have given up many
> times and returned to Windows). The computer I have
> installed Linux on is a EIPA MII 1.2 ghz. (too slow
> for windows) I'm using the latest Ubuntu release.
>
> I'have extracted the drivers and placed them in
> '/lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-386' where several other .fw
> and .bin files are located. Using the in-kernel driver
> sounds easiest so I'm going for that one...

So you're running the 2.6.15 kernel?  If so, then the in-kernel driver
didn't actually get "in-kernel" until 2.6.18.  That could be your problem
here...

> But what now? Are the driver supposed to load
> automatically? Or...? '/var/log/dmesg' says nothing
> about PVRUSB2.

Yes, hotplug (or more recently udev) will load the pvrusb2.ko module into
the kernel when the device is inserted.  That clearly isn't happening
here.  Look and see if you even have a pvrusb2.ko file in your
/lib/modules area.  I suspect that it isn't there for you.

For 2.6.18 or later you can use the in-kernel driver.  For earlier kernels
you have to use the standalone driver or you have to install a v4l-dvb
snapshot.  The web site goes over all this.  See:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html#Prerequisites

Though I can see from reading this how one might get misled about which
kernels have the driver "in-kernel".  The second paragraph there isn't
being very helpful.  I'll correct that.