[pvrusb2] in-kernel driver & corrupt video

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Sep 22 08:29:33 CDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Rick Immel wrote:

> I just got my Slackware distro installed with the 2.6.18.kernel.  I
> copied the three driver extract files to the /lib/firmware directory for
> my 24xxx hardware.  I plugged the hardware in and it worked, sort of.
> The sound  is good, but the video is corrupted  when using xine or
> mplayer.   I haven't installed MythTV yet, but there appears to be a
> problem with the in-kernel driver.  I tested my hardware on another
> machine running a 2.6.17 kernel, the same firmware, and the standalone
> driver (20060903).  This configuration presents good audio and video
> with xine and mplayer.  Has someone else experienced this problem?

Can you describe the nature of the corruption?  Is it periodic or random?
Is the video breaking up or are you seeing uniform distortion (e.g. colors
out of whack)?

Starting with 2.6.18, commands to the mpeg2 encoder are determined by a
new kernel module, cx2341x.ko.  That should be the only substantial
difference.

Can you try the standalone driver in your 2.6.18 and see if the situation
is any different?  I suspect it will be the same, but if it isn't then
that's another clue.  To try the standalone driver just build it as you
always would and simply rename the kernel-built pvrusb2.ko out of the way.