[pvrusb2] FX2 firmware capture problem

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Sep 28 09:32:44 CDT 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, kmoyer-pvrusb2_list at cox.net wrote:

> I have 24xxx hardware, but cannot find my installation CD.  I tried
> using fwextract.pl on the pvr24xxx_30_24062.exe contents downloaded from
> Hauppauge's site, but it didn't recognize it.  I, therefore, am left to
> manual firmware extraction.
>
> I finally got the v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw and v4l-cx25840.fw files via
> usbsnoop (you might make a note that program doesn't work with laptops -
> at least mine.  I spent a lot of time wondering why my log file never
> got above 2600 bytes before I moved the rig up to my desktop).  Worked
> great.
>
> Now, I am trying to extract the FX2 firmware from the router.  I send
> the "cpufw fetch" command followed by the ">/tmp/fx2.fw" command.  But,
> the latter just keeps going.  fx2.fw keeps increasing in size without
> bound.
>
> I am using the in-V4L version compiled with
> CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2_DEBUGIFC enabled.  Is there something you'd have me
> try here, or am I going to have to go with the standalone?  If the
> standalone, is there going to be any problem already having the V4L
> version already installed (and that's what I want to use in the end)?

Keith:

I learned of the new driver release just last night, and I'm also working
to complete the manual extraction.  You're actually a little bit ahead of
me.

It looks like the cpufw fetch command didn't "take".  Unfortunately I'm
not in a position to diagnose it right now.  I should get a chance to
chase this in about 13 hours from now.