[pvrusb2] hardware query for you all...

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Aug 2 21:59:45 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Mark Goldberg wrote:

> The seperate IR Receiver is about a 2" X 2" X1/2" box with a usb
> connector on the back and two jacks for IR blasters. It came with one
> IR blaster on a long wire. It says TSES-IR01
> on the back. Besides being connected to usb also, it does not connect
> to the pvrusb at all. It also came with a mce remote with the green
> windows button in the middle.
>
> I followed the instructions in the mythtv mce remote wiki and links from there:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MCE_Remote
>
> Mark

Yes, I was suspecting sure that the MCE kit variant with the external IR
blaster also had its IR receiver in that same module.  Thus there either
can't be an IR receiver at all in the PVR USB2 device or it is there but
has somehow been disabled.  This is what I'm trying to get at.

This person's device doesn't appear to have working IR reception, which
suggests it is an MCE kit device.  However he opened it up and it does
have the photodiode and the IR receiver chip.  And what's more, the IR
receiver chip is seen by the IR chip-level drivers in Linux.  Yet still,
the remote he got with it more closely resembles the MCE kit remote
rather than the "normal" remote.  He's got a 29xxx model so it can't be
any of the newer MCE kit devices where the IR blaster is included in the
device itself.

So we're just trying to figure out if the IR isn't working because it's
either broken or it if really is an MCE kit device.

It would be interesting to know for example if the known MCE kit
variants have something unique in their model string.  It would be even
more useful to know if those devices happened to still have a vestigal
IR circuit that's been deactivated.  But no, I'm not asking anyone to
open their device and find out.  But if you do, you can compare the guts
with some photos of a 29xxx device here:

  http://www.isely.net/gallery2/v/PVR+Hardware/PVRUSB2+2/

(If you click on the "full res" version of the mainboard photo there's
enough detail to see every last via on the board.  I created those
photos early on when I started working on this driver.)

Anyway, anything you can add would be useful.  The use in question is
not currently subscribed to this list; I've been helping him in IRC.
But I've also asked him to watch the mail archives in case something
jumps out at him.