[pvrusb2] New fwextract.pl script

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Aug 11 13:58:28 CDT 2007

I've just posted an updated fwextract.pl script.  This version has a
bunch of new signatures added to it plus new capabilities to hunt down
and locate firmware images scattered across multiple files in the
targeted driver package.  You can find the new extraction script here:

http://www.isely.net/downloads/fwextract.pl

(That is the same place the script has always been available from.)

I know it's been a while since releasing a driver snapshot, but that's
mainly because there hasn't been a good enough reason to update it.  I
may release another snapshot just to get the new extraction script out
there with it, but probably not right away - there are a few possible
driver changes I will be looking into soon.

I've made a lot of changes to the extraction script, however the outward
behavior for normal uses should look pretty much like it always has.
The majority of the changes involve improvements to its search algorithm
when generating signatures.  For example, it can concurrently search for
multiple variations of the same firmware type - e.g. find any instance
of 4 possible variations of v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw.  I used this ability to
few cases where 24xxx firmware was hiding inside packages previously
only known to harbor 29xxx firmware.  (I updated the signatures
appropriately.)  Also in cases where there might be multiple copies of a
single firmware type, the extractor can now select a specific copy.
(This case happens for the cx2341x firmware interestingly enough and it
can happen when looking at a large mega-package containing drivers for
multiple hardware products.  However you normally don't need to worry
about this.)

The new script now has the ability to extract from the WinTV CD versions
3.4b and 3.4d1.