[pvrusb2] lirc_i2c issues with pvrusb2 (possible hardware change)

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 16 09:40:30 CST 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Ryan Schmitz wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been having a very hard time getting my Remote to work with the
> pvrusb2.  I had extensive conversations with Roger Allen(thanks Roger) and
> we've concluded this could be a possible hardware change from Hauppauge.

I don't think this is likely.  Hauppauge has been unofficially talking
to me about stuff like this.  But read on...

> Here is whats been going on:
>
> The problem is that lirc_i2c never finds the IR chip on my 24xxx model of
> the WinTV-PVR-USB2.
>
> *The model of WinTV-PVR-USB2 is 24012 LF Rev E1A3 NTSC/NTSC-J (this was not
> listed in your poll)
>
>  *The remote works under Windows XP
>
>  *I upgraded to the latest FC6 kernel and packages.
>
>  *The WinTV-PVR-USB2 was cold booted.
>
>  *I compared my configuration with Roger Allen's FC6 setup which is working
>  fine
>       (except that I have the 24xxx and he has the 29xxx).
>
> A complete listing of my dmesg can be found here:
> http://rrschmitz.homelinux.com:8000/dmesg-E1A3.log

I was unable to access this page.

> Please let me know if you have any ideas

Which driver version are you using and where did it come from?  I ask
because IR support for 24xxx devices didn't work until fairly recently.
The released in-kernel driver (2.6.18 and 2.6.19) don't have this
support because the needed changes didn't get merged until the 2.6.20
merge window.  The current v4l-dvb repository has the changes, and the
last few standalone pvrusb2 drivers (see the change history) has support
for 24xxx IR.