[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-mci-20070114 radio support - stereo?

Rick Macdonald rickm at timshel.ca
Thu Jan 18 20:16:41 CST 2007

(This is a resend of an email I sent directory to Mike - sorry, I wasn't
thinking and should have sent it to the list.)

I'm writing to ask if pvrusb2-mci-20070114 supports stereo FM.
I tried to make this short, but...

Two years ago I bought a PVR USB2, really just wanting FM stereo radio.
I _believe_ the unit is stereo but I guess I don't know for sure.
Neither the WinTV box nor manual mentions FM stereo, but the web site
does (and did back then, I believe, or I wouldn't have bought the
unit).   I bought it without researching the state of the Linux driver
support  very well and found that the driver didn't do radio. I made do
by plugging an old external tuner into my Line-In.

Since then I've moved to a new computer. It has a WinTV PVR-150 MCE. I
got TV and Radio working, but the radio seems to be only FM _mono_.

I was pleased to find that pvrusb2 now has radio support, so I built the
latest pvrusb2-mci-20070114 and replaced the 2.6.18 kernel version. TV
still works, but when I play the radio, it's still mono.   I've tried
with both a cable TV feed and the wire FM antena that comes with the PVR
USB2.  Is the pvrusb2 driver meant to support stereo?

I can't play the radio as I would expect. Perhaps I'm using the wrong
program (ivtv-radio)? I have to run "mplayer /dev/radio1" which gives an
empty video window while the radio audio plays. mplayer says this about
the audio:

Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 224.0 kbit/14.58% (ratio: 28000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)

Here is the internal WinTV radio playing OK with "ivtv-radio", but MONO:

$ ivtv-radio -d /dev/radio0 -f 98.7
set to freq 98.70
Running: aplay -f dat < /dev/video24
Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz,
Stereo

Here is the PVR USB2. I haven't located ivtv-detect yet:

$ ivtv-radio -d /dev/radio1 -f 107.3
set to freq 107.30
/dev/video24 belongs to a different ivtv driver then /dev/radio1.
Run ivtv-detect to discover the correct radio/PCM out combination.

The above _does_ change the radio station. I can also change it with:

echo 107300000 > /sys/class/pvrusb2/sn-7570160/ctl_frequency/cur_val

Here are my devices. You can see by the date stamps that pvrusb2 caused
/dev/radio1 and /dev/video2 to be created today.

# ls -l /dev/rad* /dev/vid*
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 64 2007-01-15 22:24 /dev/radio0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 65 2007-01-18 16:14 /dev/radio1
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  0 2007-01-15 22:24 /dev/video0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  1 2007-01-18 16:14 /dev/video1
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 24 2007-01-15 22:24 /dev/video24
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 32 2007-01-15 22:24 /dev/video32

Some more info:

Debian "sid" system running kernel 2.6.18-3-686.
WinTV USB2: 29032 Rev D158 NTSC/NTSC-J
The manual says "QI-PVRUSB2-V2.5-ENG August 26, 2004", but that's
probably just the manual version.

Thanks,

...RickM...