[pvrusb2] Device naming

Rafi Rubin rafi at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 18 20:30:34 CST 2007

I'm playing with different tuners and have been thinking about the
confusion of using mythtv with non-equivalent devices.  And so I was
thinking it would be nice to have something generate symlinks or
something to provide device names that are a bit more specific than
"video0", particularly since I may not be able to garuntee the order the
devices are plugged in.

Do any of you have any experience with this sort of thing?

Here's an nice example.  I'm not entirely sure if the /dev/disk tree is
generated by the kernel, hal, udev, or some weird combination.  The
point is, you get a canonical name which is specific to that particular
device or partition.

$ ls /dev/disk
by-id  by-label  by-path  by-uuid
$ ls /dev/disk/by-id
ata-IC25N080ATMR04-0_MRG489K4JT6LHH
ata-IC25N080ATMR04-0_MRG489K4JT6LHH-part1
ata-IC25N080ATMR04-0_MRG489K4JT6LHH-part2
ata-IC25N080ATMR04-0_MRG489K4JT6LHH-part3
ata-IC25N080ATMR04-0_MRG489K4JT6LHH-part4
$ ls /dev/disk/by-label
main  spare