[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-mci-20070114 radio support - stereo?

Pantelis pakt223 at freemail.gr
Fri Jan 19 17:50:29 CST 2007

> It is possible that there is a V4L2 command that needs to be issued that
> isn't; it's one of the things to be looked into.

agreed

> > Another theory, although unlikely, is that the tuner and tda988x is
> > already being programmed correctly, but the mpeg encoder isn't
> > encoding the mpeg audio in stereo mode.  This *is* possible, although
> > unlikely due to the fact that we know that the stereo stream is being
> > encoded properly in television mode.
>
> I don't think that's likely.  The mpeg encoder isn't really being told
> anything different here.  It's just getting audio as usual along with
> muted video.  If anything we should be trying to get the encoder to stop
> sending the (blank) video stream since that just wastes bandwidth.
> Upstream of the encoder, the audio pathway is always stereo, and we also
> already know that mplayer sees a stereo mp3 audio stream.

/me believes this is unlikely as well. Btw, it is an mp2, not an mp3 stream.
(Not that they are *that* different, but just for correctness' sake).
You can use -vo null in mplayer or mpeg2desc to discard the muted video
from userspace. It would be an interesting experiment to see how low
we can set the video bitrate and get away with it. But all that is irrelevant
to the issue at hand.

Let the hunt begin,
-Pantelis