[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-mci-20070114 radio support - stereo?

Rick Macdonald rickm at timshel.ca
Fri Jan 19 15:52:34 CST 2007

Rick Macdonald wrote:
> OK, I installed the USB2 onto a WinXP laptop. The WinTV Radio program
> is stereo. A red STEREO 'led' lights up, and there's a MONO toggle
> button that does what it says. My original package just says "FM radio
> receiver". It doesn't mention stereo (but their web site does).
>
> I thought I've seen on the web where other devices such as my PVR-150
> explicitly state FM mono, but in most places it doesn't say either
> way. Rather than search again I think I'll boot up WinXP and see what
> happens. Not that the PVR-150 is of much interest to this list, but if
> it is also stereo under WinXP then the problem could be in low-level
> code shared by pvrusb2 and ivtv (or wherever it is).

This is a resend - the first attempt never showed up.

Well, I booted this PC into WinXP MCE and tried the internal
WinTV-PVR-150 (26552 LF NTSC/NTSC-J with Conexant CX23416-22) and lo and
behold, the FM radio is also stereo!

So, my WinTV-PVR-150 plays FM mono through ivtv-radio (which just sets
the frequency and then runs aplay -f dat < /dev/video24), and the
PVR-USB2 plays FM mono with pvrusb2, but both devices are indeed stereo.

But wait! After I booted back into Linux, my internal PVR-150 now plays
stereo FM!

Unfortunately, the USB2 is still giving me mono.

I hope this helps.

...RickM...