[pvrusb2] audio pops and cracks in the recordings

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 23 00:05:21 CST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, devsk wrote:

> After 1.5 hours, I have booted back into linux and I can immd. see that I don't have to wait for even 45 seconds on pbs to make it produce pops.
>
> I notice this occurring in the mythtv logs pretty often, but its not there for every pop.
>
> 2007-01-22 19:16:34.386 WriteAudio: buffer underrun
> 2007-01-22 19:16:34.536 NVP: prebuffering pause
>
> -devsk

Sorry, on Mondays I've away from the net for pretty much the entire
night.

I don't have any obvious solutions here.  So far you're still the only
person to tell me of problems like this and I can't really seem to
reproduce the problem here (but read on).

Given that XP is OK, then the hardware has to be fine and we're left
looking at the software.  So what's difference?  The pvrusb2 driver is
clearly the same.  The kernel version is different.  I'm still running
2.6.18.1 here.  I did test against 2.6.19-rc2 (I think) briefly a while
back and don't remember encountering any kind of problem like this.  I
can try to update my kernel here and see if the problem happens.

Is there anyone else here with devsk's setup and is or is not seeing
this problem?  The key to this problem is to figure out what is
different.

Now with that said, I *did* manage to do one thing here that seemed to
produce a similar symptom.  On a 29xxx device I had accidentally left
the coax plugged into the TV F-connector while trying to listen to the
radio.  The result?  I got the audio but it was full of cracks and pops,
similar in pattern to what you got.  But this was in radio mode on a
29xxx device, which is different than your situation.  I tried the same
experiment on a 24xxx device but the result was total static that time.

Thinking further, I can see how a weak FM-modulated signal could do
something like this - bursts of audio energy might displace the carrier
faster than the tuner can track the weak signal and thus it pops.  That
might suggest something is misprogramming the tda9887 on your device
causing the audio signal to be too weak.  I think there have been cases
like that on other (non-pvrusb2) hardware, but I'm not really sure.

The best strategy here may be to compare environments and try to match
them up.  I will try out a 2.6.19.2 environment and see what happens.
But it may be a few days yet before I can try that experiment.  You
might want to try kernel 2.6.18.1 and see if the cracking and popping
still happens.  I'm not hopeful that this is your problem, but we seem
to be running out of options.

You might also want to try building the latest v4l-dvb repository and
installing that in your kernel.  That will give you the absolute latest
versions of all the support modules, so if the problem has been recently
fixed then we don't have to keep chasing this.